Receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on all our short courses of less than six-month’s duration, when you book six months ahead of the course start date.
Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting edge, practical learning experience.
DO YOU WANT TO VISIT METFILM SCHOOL?
BOOK NOW FOR OUR GENERAL WINTER OPEN DAY (SHORT COURSES) ON 7 DECEMBER
Eight-Week Documentary Filmmaking
- Eight-week full-time course (Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm)
- For students who want to bring their passion and ideas for a documentary to life and require training in technical and creative filmmaking skills
- Write, produce and edit your first short documentary film
- Suitable for beginners, no previous experience is required
Eight-Week Documentary Filmmaking is an intensive and practical course that equips you with fundamental filmmaking skills and focuses on the challenges of the documentary genre, such as working with people and filming reality. The course culminates in the production of your own short documentary film.
- Practical. Participate in multiple workshops and numerous exercises taught by a professional documentary filmmaker and turn your knowledge into practical experience by producing and directing your own documentary film
- Filmmaking skills. Learn the fundamental technical and creative skills to deliver your film from start to finish, such as camera operating, lighting, sound recording and editing.
- Documentary skills. Explore and practise the social aspects of documentary making, learn how to build trust with your crew and the people you film.
- Collaborative approach. Share your knowledge, discuss your experience and exchange ideas with your classmates to receive valuable feedback from like-minded documentary filmmakers
- Connected. Join the school’s online forum to build connections, collaborate with the creative student community and receive information about the latest projects and jobs
- History and evolution of documentary – examine historical and recent examples of successful documentaries to better understand today’s marketplace
- Technical aspects of screen content creation: camera, lighting, editing and sound
- Developing ideas for documentary – researching a subject, writing a proposal and creating a treatment
- Planning and controlling your productions – working with real people rather than actors, considering production issues such as scheduling, location management and legal requirements
- Practical exercises at school facilities
- Filming on location
You will be taught by a variety of tutors who will all be experienced industry professionals. Some recent tutors include:
Sasha Snow is an award-winning film director and director of photography who makes films for cinema, television and a wide variety of commercial and charitable organisations. His film Arctic Crime & Punishment was nominated for an RTS AWARD in Documentary Lighting in 2016. His subsequent film, Conflict Tiger won 17 international film festival prizes and was honored as ‘Environmental Filmmaker of the Decade’ at The Green Planet Movie Awards.
Dates & Prices
- 6 July 2020 — 28 August 2020
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: Our Eight-Week Documentary Filmmaking course is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However, in order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call: +44 20 8280 9119
In order to make enrolment as fair as possible and to enhance your learning experience, please be aware that we have a limited number of places available for each course intake and operate a first come, first served basis. For more information regarding our application procedure, please see the following link, or contact our Admissions team on +44 (0) 20 8280 9119 or email email@example.com
Duration: Eight Weeks Full-Time (Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm)
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. The MetFilm Futures team help our talented and bright students secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for.
- Situated and based in the world-famous Ealing Studios.. Ealing Studios is a professional film and television production environment and MetFilm School is based inside this space, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Being on the lot creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students and these are advertised through our student opportunity department, MetFilm Futures.
MetFilm School does have its own studio space – Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our Post Graduate Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case by case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance.
Regarding the main studios, we expect all students to be courteous, professional and respectful while they are on the lot. For obvious reasons, they cannot enter sets or professional productions freely.
- Award-winning tutors and guest speakers. All our tutors and guest speakers are working screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations, including BAFTAs, Emmys and Oscars. Learn more about our tutors and guest speakers
- Part of the industry. Through working closely with our sister companies Met Film Production and Met Post, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. Met Film businesses provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals. Find out more
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet. Find out more.
- Leading the industry. As the fastest growing film school in the UK we are proud of our innovative approach with a strong focus on new media and platforms, which is delivered throughout all our courses