MA Film and Television Production is a one-year postgraduate course for the post-Netflix generation of producers, screenwriters, directors, camera people, editors and preditors.
The world of screen production has been transformed over the last fifteen years by the rapid rise of digital technology and new forms of screen content. Today’s market is looking for dynamic, creative and entrepreneurial multi-skilled talent – film and video-makers who are as comfortable with short-form online formats as they are with traditional television and cinema. Above all, they are looking for smart screen storytellers, able to create meaningful content whatever the context.
Through intensive production work and reflective thought, this new course aims to deliver employable and smart thinking graduates ready for industry and aware of the issues that making content for screens big and small entail.
High level of production opportunities working to real-world briefs and employing real-world methodologies that replicate industry
Work on two short films or videos, web series with Writers Room, online commercial content, showreel and collaborative Master’s Project.
Industry contexts throughout including briefs from broadcasters and commercial clients
High emphasis on career and employability with support through curriculum and school’s unique enhancements MetFilm Futures and MetFilm Production
Fast track, immersive development as a skilled and motivated screen professional
Current Industry tutors bringing experience, contacts and award-winning skills
Focus on contemporary screen media – production for the post-Netflix, post-YouTube generation
Multi-skilling approach – perfect for specialists wanting to offer more than one skill and for the ‘preditor’
Industry rapidly expanding and looking for new talent that is dynamic, flexible, industry-aware
Supported by current, award-winning industry tutors
Career and Employability support throughout including MetFilm Futures
Opportunity to work on real-world projects with briefs from broadcasters, film producers and commercial clients
Part of the suite of MA Courses that have produced high levels of graduate employment and success
- The course is built on the key concepts and skills that underpin screen storytelling and begins with an immersion in the fundamentals of dramatic narrative content for screens big and small. At each subsequent stage, students are given insight into the individual skills – producing, writing, directing, camerawork and editing – needed for different types of film and television production contexts – single drama, series drama, branded content and advertising.
- Students will learn about the industry and their potential employment and work in a specific key production role and other supporting roles in the delivery of productions at every level of the course.
- Screen Induction Lab
- Screen Storytelling Boot Camp
- Research in Screen Practice
- Specialist Module 1: Dramatising the Now
- Specialist Module 2: New Age Television
- Specialist Module 3: Creative Entrepreneurism
- Master’s Project: Engaging Audiences
Dates & Prices
- 8 March 2021 — 25 March 2022
Course fees include:
Tuition, production equipment and support, first aid and health & safety training, production and post-production facilities, access to industry masterclasses and networking.
Duration: One Year, Full-Time
You might be eligible for a postgraduate loan. Find out more.
-Voices That Matter Scholarship 2021. Find out more.
*Subject to annual price review
Justin Trefgarne – Course Leader
Justin is an Emmy-nominated writer, director and producer who brings wide-ranging experience of working in film, television, advertising and branded content to the role of Course Leader for the multi-platform, multi-discipline MA in Film and Television Production. Full profile
Steve Pinhay – Deputy School Director and MA Course Leader
Steve Pinhay is MetFilm School’s Deputy School Director and MA Course Leader. He brings his extensive experience of producing across a range of genres to his teaching at the school. Full Profile
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. The MetFilm Futures team help our talented and bright students secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for.
Future career prospects
o TV researcher
o Production Co-ordinator
o Camera assistant
o Editor or edit assistant
We proudly present some of the course graduates’ works. These projects will give you an idea of what you should be able to produce by the end of the course.
- Situated and based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. Ealing Studios is a professional film and television production environment and MetFilm School is based inside this space, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Being on the lot creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students and these are advertised through our student opportunity department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space – Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our Post Graduate Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case by case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance. Regarding the main studios, we expect all students to be courteous, professional and respectful while they are on the lot. For obvious reasons, they cannot enter sets or professional productions freely.
- Award-winning tutors and guest speakers. All our tutors and guest speakers are working screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations, including BAFTAs, Emmys and Oscars. Learn more about our tutors and guest speakers
- Part of the industry. Through working closely with our sister companies Met Film Production and Met Post, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. Met Film businesses provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals. Find out more
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet. Find out more.
- Leading the industry. As the fastest growing film school in the UK we are proud of our innovative approach with a strong focus on new media and platforms, which is delivered throughout all our courses