Looking to build your future in the screen industries? Met Film School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting edge, practical learning experience.
- Four-week full-time course (Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm)
- For students who want to learn the key techniques, creative approaches and organisational skills involved in camera operation, lighting and sound recording
- Covers the fundamental rules of film grammar and narration on-set
- Suitable for beginners, no previous experience is required
Four-Week Cinematography is an all-encompassing course which covers the fundamental skills for aspiring Directors of Photography (DOP). By the end of the programme, you will have an enhanced understanding of on-set practices and the technical requirements for camera, light and sound. In addition, you will have completed filmed exercises and workshops that are geared towards developing your practical understanding and experience of the cinematographer’s role.
- Shoot your first commercial video that demonstrates your camera, lighting and editing abilities
- Understand technical requirements such as focal-length lenses and depth of field, but also how to utilise this knowledge in a creative and narrative sense
- Learn the basic sound theory, how to handle relevant equipment and record location sound
- Develop postproduction skills to further enhance the visual aesthetics of your content
- Examine how cinematography has progressed through history
- Learn about different career pathways within various cinematography departments and decide about the next steps in your studies or career
- Introduction to cinematography: the importance of the cinematographer in filmmaking, the development of cinematography over the years
- Visual storytelling: depth of field, three point lighting system, eye lines and what happens when they don’t match, the ‘rule of thirds’, how to match tracking shots, the names and features of different focal lengths, using a dolly, tracks, lighting kit and operating a moving camera
- Lighting and tracking: three point lighting, how to light to a professional standard
- Introduction to large format cameras: building, loading formatting and recording media
- Sound: recording different types of sound: Vox pop, formal and walking conversation, hard-disk and multi-track recording
- An overview of the basic aspects of production and postproduction: editing with Adobe Premiere Pro
- Practical exercises, including, creating a 30-second commercial using your knowledge of how to construct a pack-shot
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at Met Film School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. The MetGO team (Met Student and Graduate Opportunities) helps our talented and bright students secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our students work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. These are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for:
Start Dates & Prices
- 7 AUG 2017 — 1 Sep 2017
Four-Week Cinematography is an intensive full-time, four-week course (Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm).
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: Our Four-Week Cinematography course is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However in order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: Four Weeks Full-Time
- Famous facilities at Ealing Studios. Our students in London receive access to our modern premises and facilities within the famous Ealing Studios. High-profile productions made on-site include Downton Abbey, Nowhere Boy, My Week with Marilyn, Prince of Persia, The Iron Lady, Star Wars: Episode Two, and Victor Frankenstein. Learn more
- Award-winning tutors and guest speakers. All our tutors and guest speakers are working screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations, including BAFTAs, Emmys and Oscars. Learn more about our tutors and guest speakers
- Part of the industry. Through working closely with our sister company Met Film Production, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. Met Film businesses provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals. Find out more
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet. Find out more.
- Leading the industry. As the fastest growing film school in the UK, we are proud of our innovative approach with a strong focus on new media and platforms, which is delivered throughout all our courses.