Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting-edge, practical learning experience.
Receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on all our short courses, when you book three months or more before the course start date.
Four-Week Cinematography is a full time intensive and practical course which covers the fundamental skills for aspiring Directors of Photography (DOP). By the end of the programme, you will have an enhanced understanding of on-set practices and the technical requirements for camera, light, and sound. This course is suitable for beginners, no previous experience is required.
Four-Week Cinematography course students will learn the basic sound theory, how to handle relevant equipment and record location sound, developing postproduction skills to further enhance the visual aesthetics of your content. Students will shoot their first commercial video that demonstrates their camera, lighting and editing abilities.
Four-Week Cinematography is designed to improve the understanding, knowledge, and practice in the following core areas:
- an overview of the contemporary screen industries from the perspective of the sound, camera and lighting departments
- the core principles of light and exposure
- the use of light, as a fundamental tool, not only illuminate but also to create mood and tone in support of the narrative arc of a film
- the analysis of a script from a visual perspective
- the development and exploration of creative and technical choices in an on-set, production environment
- understand working as a filming crew and the importanceof collaboration and communication.
- Health and Safety on set
Students will explore the following key areas during the Four-Week Cinematography course:
Introduction to Cinematography. Students will explore the impact of creative decisions in image and sound on storytelling and explore Cinematography as a narrative tool.
Visual Storytelling. Students will learn how to tell stories through the use of visual mediums.
Lighting and Camera Movement. Students examine how cinematography has progressed through history and how camera placement and movement has evolved.
Sound and Sound Design. Students will explore the impact of creative decisions in image and sound on storytelling.
Professional Practice. Students will learn the importance of teamwork and professional practice.
The Course Outline below describes the key craft areas and skills you will cover during your course.
Start Dates & Prices
- 13 June 2022 — 8 July 2022
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: Our Four-Week Cinematography course is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However in order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to make enrolment as fair as possible and to enhance your learning experience, please be aware that we have a limited number of places available for each course intake and operate on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information regarding our application procedure, please see the following link, or contact our Admissions team on +44 (0) 20 8280 9119 or email email@example.com
Duration: Four Weeks Full-Time
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we concentrate on employability. Students and graduates of MetFilm School will gain access to our dedicated careers advice department MetFilm Futures, who focus on supporting you and ensuring you develop the skills needed to succeed in the industry.
MetFilm Production, our sister production company, offers 3-4 in house work experience placements per year for MetFilm School graduates. Selected graduates work in a variety of capacities on all of MetFilm Production’s films such as award-winning The Reason I Jump, 23 Walks and Swimming with Men.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies our graduates have gone onto work for.
- Based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. MetFilm School is based within Ealing Studios, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Our location creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Watch our London Campus Tour
- Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students which are advertised through our career’s advice department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space; Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our MA Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case-by-case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance.
- Award-winning tutors. MetFilm School’s tutors are working screen professionals – TV and film directors, producers, screenwriters, editors, animators and other industry specialists with numerous awards, including BAFTA, Emmy and Oscar nominations.
- Through working closely with our sister companiesMetFilm Production and MetFilm Sales, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. These provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and ScreenSkills Select.