MA Post Production
- One-year full-time MA Post Production postgraduate course
- For students who want to pursue careers in areas such as offline editing, sound design, grading and visual effects
- Create a portfolio with a feature film project edit, an industry project for an external client, sound design, grading, VFX projects, and a final Master’s project
This course is industry recognised by ScreenSkills, the industry-led skills body for the UK’s screen-based industries, and carries the ScreenSkills Select quality-mark which indicates courses best suited to prepare students for a career in the screen industries.
The MA Post Production course equips you with creative and technical skills required to work within a range of postproduction sectors such as offline editing, sound design, grading and visual effects.
During your studies you’ll do a unique industry project that will give you real-life experience with external clients.
- Practical. Master the key postproduction software such Avid Media Composer, DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere, Audition, Prelude & After Effects and gain access to our high-end grading, sound mixing and recording facilities
- Industry-standard. Receive audio platform training, essential for any sound postproduction career in film and TV
- Real-life. Put your knowledge into practice by completing a project for an industry client and receiving professional feedback
- Creative. Learn from award-winning tutors and guest speakers with Oscars, Emmys and BAFTAs, including legendary directors, cinematographers, editors, producers and other creative screen specialists
- Screen Lab. You will participate in seminars and workshops covering a range of topics, including practical filmmaking skills, creative brainstorming, a survey of concepts underpinning moving image theory, and the state of the creative industries. At the end of the module, you will shoot a mini filmed project on an iPhone/Android, focusing on the primacy of content in the Say Something! exercise.
- Post Production Boot Camp. This immersive module covers the key creative and technical skills, and the workflow processes that form the bedrock of current postproduction practices. Through lectures and practical workshops the module will cover topics, including editing software skills development, offline editing workflows, audio and video editing techniques, and digital media management.
- Advanced Editing. The module highlights contemporary postproduction processes typically used when editing and finishing low budget feature films. Narrative and cinematic storytelling principles will underpin the exploration of various workflows in order to achieve the best creative and technical results.
- Essential Visual Effects. The module explains how to create and integrate visual effects and add motion graphics into digital media projects. Through exploration of various VFX pipelines you will learn how to communicate confidently and collaborate effectively with producers, directors, cinematographers and visual effects artists.
- Audio and Video Post Production. The module will take you through the finishing and delivery stages of the film life cycle, focusing primarily on colour grading and advanced audio mixing techniques. Topics will cover working with codecs, compression, streaming, ADR, audio mixing, colour grading, and all aspects of digital media delivery, including both legacy and contemporary formats as well as emerging digital media delivery standards.
- Research and Project Methods. You will begin to prepare for your final Master’s Project by exploring key research methods including defining problems, identifying areas of academic enquiry, formulating hypotheses, collecting, organising and evaluating data, developing and assessing conclusions.
- Master’s Project. This is a largely self-directed module during which you will work under the guidance of a faculty advisor towards the development and completion of a final creative editing project or a technical postproduction project.
Dates & Prices
- 11 October 2021 — 28 October 2022
Course fees include:
Tuition, production equipment and support, first aid and health & safety training, production and post-production facilities, access to industry masterclasses and networking.
Duration: One Year, Full-Time
You might be eligible for a postgraduate loan. Find out more.
-Voices That Matter Scholarship 2021. Find out more.
*Subject to annual price review
Michael is the MA Post Production Course Leader. Michael has spent twenty years working in the film and television industries in a number of key areas of video and film production including director, editor, first assistant director. For the last ten years, he has worked in the Post Production arena predominately as an editor and a colourist. His work spans all media including award winning short film Flowers (Best Short Film at Iphias Int. Film Festival, Jamaica and Best Short Film at the Interurban Film Festival, Texas), feature film Panic Button, commercials, viral campaigns (Playstation and X Box) music videos and concerts (Ruby Turner). Michael is also involved in traditional art and digital media installations and photographic exhibitions. Full Profile
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. The MetFilm Futures team help our talented and bright students secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for.
Camilla who graduated in 2014 is now working n a 3D animated TV series for Disney. She says: “With a wide range of both theoretical and practical modules, my degree helped me get a leg up in the job market and I feel that potential employers take me more seriously.” Read more.
Julia was heavily involved in all aspects of postproduction for the industry project for Stonewall featuring Sir Ian McKellan. She now works as a freelance editor and colourist. Her short film Quiescence screened at the Vancouver Island Short Film Festival in 2013. Read more.
We proudly present some of the course graduates’ works. These projects will give you an idea of what you should be able to produce by the end of the course.
- Situated and based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. Ealing Studios is a professional film and television production environment and MetFilm School is based inside this space, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Being on the lot creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students and these are advertised through our student opportunity department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space – Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our Post Graduate Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case by case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance. Regarding the main studios, we expect all students to be courteous, professional and respectful while they are on the lot. For obvious reasons, they cannot enter sets or professional productions freely.
- Award-winning tutors and guest speakers. All our tutors and guest speakers are working screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations, including BAFTAs, Emmys and Oscars. Learn more about our tutors and guest speakers
- Part of the industry. Through working closely with our sister companies Met Film Production and Met Post, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. Met Film businesses provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals. Find out more
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet. Find out more.
- Leading the industry. As the fastest growing film school in the UK we are proud of our innovative approach with a strong focus on new media and platforms, which is delivered throughout all our courses