BA SCREEN ACTING (2 YEARS)*
- Two-year full-time undergraduate course for students looking for intensive practical training in screen acting
- Gain experience in essential screen acting disciplines that reflect the real business of screen acting through six key areas; story and script, character and performance, acting methods and techniques, behind the camera skills, screen business and specialist acting skills
- Develop work that includes short form, episodic and long-form productions for film, television and the web
- Collaborate with our BA (Hons) Practical Filmmaking students
*subject to validation
BA (Hons) Screen Acting is a unique, practical, industry-focused degree course which will allow you to develop the skills necessary to become a professional screen actor. This course has been designed with industry professionals to reflect the real business of screen acting.
Through a combination of lectures, seminars, reflective practice and self-directed learning, everything you learn will be put into practice through a wide range of practical, industry-focused exercises and productions. You will also collaborate with our filmmaking students who will create material which you will be involved in. You will leave the course with a showreel, headshots and CV.
- Career skills. Secure employment in the creative screen industries with first-hand practical guidance from working industry professionals
- High-calibre guest speakers and tutors. Learn from the best industry professionals.
- Intensive and fast. Complete your course in just two years and start working in the industry sooner
The course is divided into six learning areas which focus on a variety of screen acting forms and include collaborative productions with our filmmaking students. These productions include short form, episodic, stage to screen, long form and your graduation project.*
- Story and Script. Interpreting a Script, Analysis, Subtext, Improvisation, Classic Text & Theatre. During this module, you will explore the fundamentals of good storytelling, create characters, understand how to analyse scripts and engage with subtext.
- Character and performance. Understanding Character, Developing Voice and Movement. Create performances that build dramatic tension and connect emotionally with your scene partner. Understand how to use your own voice and body movement as individual elements and in harmony with one another. Here you will collaborate with BA Practical Filmmaking students in directing exercises and the creation of short performances.
- Acting Methods and Techniques. Theories of Acting and Research Skills. Throughout this module, you will analyse the history and evolution of screen acting and develop an appreciation of improvisation techniques. You will also research and critically evaluate classic and contemporary acting methods.
- Behind the Camera. Learn the process and technique of filmmaking, Image & Sound, Editing. Over the course of this module, you will understand the importance of collaboration in production, develop craft skills in production, camera, lighting and sound, and collaborate with the BA Practical Filmmaking students on short filmed exercises.
- Screen Business. Here you will look at career Preparation, casting and auditions, and professional practice. This module will develop your communication and presentation skills to best market yourself for roles. You’ll learn casting etiquette and participate in castings in both mock and real-life scenarios.
- Specialist Acting Skills; ADR, Voiceover, Motion Capture, Combat. Here you’ll learn to develop your Voice Over and ADR techniques through practical exercises and working on live projects, develop your screen combat techniques and learn the importance of shooting angles and teamwork.
*subject to validation
Dates & Prices
- 30 September 2019 — 14 October 2021
To apply for the BA (Hons) Screen Acting course at the MetFilm School:
- You must be 18 years of age, or older, at the start of the course
- If you’re under the age of 21, you must provide evidence of at least 100 UCAS Tariff points (please note this is using the new tariff points system) and possess two ‘A’ levels or an equivalent qualification, such as a National Diploma or Baccalaureate
- We require all students to demonstrate previous acting experience and to submit either their acting showreel or filmed duologue. This needs to be submitted as part of your application.
- We are happy to consider students who have not met the academic tariff if they are able to demonstrate sufficient acting experience and/or attendance on substantive relevant acting courses. Students may be required to undertake a MetFilm School summer acting course prior to enrolment if their experience does not match the requirements.
- If you’re over 21, you’re considered a mature student, so your application relies on relevant skills and experience rather than academic qualifications
- If you’re a British student applying via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS), you’ll need our Institution Code, which is M73, and the Course Code, which is W410
- If you hold an international qualification, please make sure that it’s recognised in the United Kingdom
- Find out about Application Deadlines
Please be aware that there are certain costs you will need to budget for in addition to the course fees. You can find out more about these costs here.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we teach our students to network and pitch to the industry. The MetFilm Futures team help our talented and bright students secure creative jobs in leading companies across the globe.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies they’ve gone onto work for.
Don’t take our word for it. Find out what our graduates say about their MetFilm School experience.
- Famous facilities in Ealing Studios. Our students in London receive access to our modern premises and facilities within the famous Ealing Studios. High-profile productions made on-site include Downton Abbey, Nowhere Boy, My Week with Marilyn, Prince of Persia, The Iron Lady, Star Wars: Episode Two, and Victor Frankenstein. Learn more
- Award-winning tutors and guest speakers. All our tutors and guest speakers are working screen professionals with numerous industry awards and nominations, including BAFTAs, Emmys and Oscars. Learn more about our tutors and guest speakers
- Part of the industry. Through working closely with our sister companies MetFilm Production and MetFilm Sales, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. Find out more
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and Creative SkillSet. Find out more. Our degree course was described as ‘At the forefront of film pedagogy’ by the QAA
- Leading the industry. As the fastest growing film school in the UK we are proud of our innovative approach with a strong focus on new media and platforms, which is delivered throughout all our courses