MetFilm School’s Smart Screen Creative Awards return to the Ham Yard Hotel on Wednesday 27 November 2019. Entries now open!
- Submission deadline: Monday 16 September 2019
- Eligibility: All current and former students of an undergraduate, postgraduate, or short course (minimum 8-weeks full-time / 6-months part-time) completing their study in 2018, 2019 or beyond.
- New: Introducing a brand new category -Technical Excellence!
- 2019 Host: Broadcaster Nikki Bedi (BBC’s The Arts Hour)
- Industry judging panel to be announced soon! Previous judges have included Armando Iannucci, Sarah Gavron, Gurinder Chadha and representatives from Warner Bros, Twitter and Picturehouse Cinemas
How to submit
Pick your project. As long as you made your content while studying at MetFilm School or ScreenSpace, we want to see it! This means you can enter a short film, a script, promotional content, a web-series or even a crowdfunding campaign. If you want to enter more than one project, that’s fine too. If you’re shortlisted, you’ll even be able to bring your team along to the big night to celebrate together.
Select a category. There are six categories, each of which will be assessed by a different industry judge – these are Creative Excellence, Diversity, Entrepreneurship, Impact, Innovation, and Technical Excellence. You are able to enter one category per submission, but you can make multiple submissions. Just remember to tailor your supporting copy towards the category. No one likes a lazy copy and paste job.
Submit your entry. Welcome to the entry form! We’ve made this super simple for you with two speedy pages. The first is just some contact details, and the second is information on your project. If you are entering a video project, we’ll need you to provide a YouTube or Vimeo URL link, but you can also add a private password if you are submitting to festivals, etc. Remember to prepare some interesting words for the ‘Supporting Copy’ section – this is your chance to explain your project for the judging panel. Good luck!
Got questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
This award will go to a project that showcases technical or craft skills, and which demonstrates a real understanding of the technical possibilities of its medium or platform. This could be exceptional use of sound, lighting, digital manipulation, editing, post production, set design and build, musical composition or stunning graphics.
This award will go to a project that shows new, fresh ideas that are unexpected and innovative regardless of their format. We will award the screen artefact that pushes the boundaries, showing exceptional originality and awareness of the possibilities of its chosen medium.
This award will go to a project that demonstrates smart thinking in the business of screen. This can come in the form of imaginative and successful fundraising, clever promotion of the project before or after it is finished, addressing a problem in an original way, and commercial success.
This award will go to a project that engages a specific audience, makes an impact on people’s lives – or both! The entrant must explain how they identified their audience, developed content, and promoted it to them, with evidence of the project’s success, or in demonstrable changes to people’s perception of an issue, problem or cause.
This award will go to a project or content that seeks to bring attention to the diversity of the world we live in, or to a community cause. It could be content or projects promoting LGBT, gender, ethnicity and other diversity causes, or a community cause that could make a real difference to people’s lives.
This award will go to a piece of outstanding creative content that demonstrates excellence in every aspect of its execution. It will be visually and/or aesthetically arresting, contain exceptional content and appeal to its intended audiences that goes beyond the appreciative.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Open to students at MetFilm School London, MetFilm School Berlin and Screenspace.
- Submitters must be 18+ years of age
- Projects must have been created while the submitter studied an eligible course
- Eligible submissions must be completed in accordance and acceptance of the the full Terms and Conditions found here.