Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting-edge, practical learning experience.
Receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on all our short courses, when you book three months or more before the course start date.
Eight-Week From Story to Screen
The Eight-Week from Story to Screen (full time) course equips students with the fundamental skills in a variety of filmmaking disciplines including camera operating, editing, directing, producing and screenwriting. The course culminates in students producing their own short film. This course is suitable for beginners, no previous experience required.
Eight Week from Story to Screen is a fully immersive course. Students can expect to explore the world of filmmaking and content creation through practical workshops, lectures and crew role exercises. Designed to improve students understanding, knowledge and practice in the following areas:
- Storytelling for the screen
- The importance of a synopsis and script structure, and writing a short film script
- Script interpretation and preparing for a shoot
- Casting and directing actors
- Camera, lights and sound
- Shooting for the edit
- Managing a production
- Creative editing
Students will explore the following key areas during the Eight-Week from Story to Screen course:
VISUAL STORYTELLING. Students will learn how to tell stories through the use of visual mediums. Students will look at composition, framing, blocking and camera positions and how to engage an audience.
SCREENWRITING. Students will learn how to find, pitch and develop ideas.
DIRECTING. Students will learn about the role of the Director, how to communicate with actors and the key collaborative relationships which are at the core of filmmaking.
PRODUCTION. Health & Safety, budgeting and designing a shooting schedule, students will learn the importance of planning and preparation, how to cast your project and the best ways to approach agents and actors to gain the most from your auditions. In addition, you will cover copyright issues and how to avoid related problems.
POST PRODUCTION. Through training in Adobe Premiere Pro, you will develop your technical and creative editing skills, which will give you the necessary understanding to take your own project through the editing process.
CAMERA, LIGHTING & SOUND. Students will be provided with an overview of the contemporary screen industries from the perspective of the sound, camera and lighting departments. Students will explore the impact of creative decisions in image and sound on storytelling.
FINAL PRODUCTION. Students will collaborate across their cohort to prep, shoot and edit their final short narrative films. Students are expected to support productions in a variety of crew roles.
The Course Outline below describes the key craft areas and skills you will cover during your course.
Dates & Prices
- 13 June 2022 — 5 August 2022
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: Our Eight-Week From Story to Screen course is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However, in order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to make enrolment as fair as possible and to enhance your learning experience, please be aware that we have a limited number of places available for each course intake and operate on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information regarding our application procedure, please see the following link, or contact our Admissions team on +44 (0) 20 8280 9119 or email email@example.com
Duration: Eight Weeks Full-Time.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we concentrate on employability. Students and graduates of MetFilm School will gain access to our dedicated careers advice department MetFilm Futures, who focus on supporting you and ensuring you develop the skills needed to succeed in the industry.
MetFilm Production, our sister production company, offers 3-4 in house work experience placements per year for MetFilm School graduates. Selected graduates work in a variety of capacities on all of MetFilm Production’s films such as award-winning The Reason I Jump, 23 Walks and Swimming with Men.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies our graduates have gone onto work for.
- Based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. MetFilm School is based within Ealing Studios, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Our location creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Watch our London Campus Tour
- Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students which are advertised through our career’s advice department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space; Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our MA Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case-by-case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance.
- Award-winning tutors. MetFilm School’s tutors are working screen professionals – TV and film directors, producers, screenwriters, editors, animators and other industry specialists with numerous awards, including BAFTA, Emmy and Oscar nominations.
- Connected. Through working closely with our sister companies MetFilm Production and MetFilm Sales, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. These provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and ScreenSkills Select.