Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting-edge, practical learning experience.
Receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on all our short courses, when you book three months or more before the course start date.
Part-Time Six-Month Filmmaking
The Part-Time Six-Month Filmmaking is an all-encompassing and dynamic course giving students the opportunity to explore their potential as screenwriters, directors and camera operators, editors, and producers. This course is suitable for beginners, no previous experience is required.
The Part-Time Six-Month Filmmaking course gives students the opportunity to learn how to tell stories through the use of visual mediums, exploring the importance of developing a short form script, how to communicate with actors, budgeting and develop technical and creative editing skills.
The Part-Time Six-Month Filmmaking is designed to improve the understanding, knowledge, and practice in the following core areas:
- Storytelling through film
- Interpreting a script
- Using a Camera to tell a story
- Shooting with the edit in mind
- Editing using Adobe Premiere Pro
- Production Management and crew roles
- Directing using professional on-set procedures
- Recording production sound and sound editing
- Working with actors
Students will explore the following key areas during the Part-Time Six-Month Filmmaking course:
Visual Storytelling. Students will look at composition, framing, blocking and camera positions and how to engage an audience.
Screenwriting. Students will develop scenes, learn the importance of re-writing and develop a short form script for their final film.
Directing. Students will learn about the role of the Director, how to communicate with actors and the key collaborative relationships which are at the core of filmmaking.
Production. Health & Safety, budgeting and designing a shooting schedule, students will learn the importance of planning and preparation, how to cast your project and the best ways to approach agents and actors to gain the most from your auditions.
Post Production. Through training in Adobe Premiere Pro, you will develop your technical and creative editing skills.
Camera, Lighting & Sound. Students will be provided with an overview of the contemporary screen industries from the perspective of the sound, camera and lighting departments. Students will explore the impact of creative decisions in image and sound on storytelling.
Final Production. Students will collaborate across their cohort to prep, shoot and edit their final short narrative films.
The Course Outline below describes the key craft areas and skills you will cover during your course.
Dates & Prices
- 27 April 2022 — 5 October 2022
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: This course is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However, to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this, please contact email@example.com
In order to make enrolment as fair as possible and to enhance your learning experience, please be aware that we have a limited number of places available for each course intake and operate on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information regarding our application procedure, please see the following link, or contact our Admissions team on +44 (0) 20 8280 9119 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: Six Months, Part-Time.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we concentrate on employability. Students and graduates of MetFilm School will gain access to our dedicated careers advice department MetFilm Futures, who focus on supporting you and ensuring you develop the skills needed to succeed in the industry.
MetFilm Production, our sister production company, offers 3-4 in house work experience placements per year for MetFilm School graduates. Selected graduates work in a variety of capacities on all of MetFilm Production’s films such as award-winning The Reason I Jump, 23 Walks and Swimming with Men.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies our graduates have gone onto work for.
Marcus Markou released Papadopoulos & Sons himself in April 2013 grossing £40,000 on the opening weekend in 13 Cineworld cinemas. Since then the film has been acquired by the BBC and been released in Germany across 100 screens.
“I loved Met Film School because it was a practical filmmaking course, being thrown into the deep end and meeting new friends, some of whom I ended up working with on Papadopoulos & Sons.” Read more.
- Based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. MetFilm School is based within Ealing Studios, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Our location creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Watch our London Campus Tour
- Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students which are advertised through our career’s advice department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space; Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our MA Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case-by-case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance.
- Award-winning tutors. MetFilm School’s tutors are working screen professionals – TV and film directors, producers, screenwriters, editors, animators and other industry specialists with numerous awards, including BAFTA, Emmy and Oscar nominations.
- Through working closely with our sister companiesMetFilm Production and MetFilm Sales, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. These provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and ScreenSkills Select.