Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting-edge, practical learning experience.
Receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on all our short courses, when you book three months or more before the course start date.
Eight-Week Documentary Filmmaking
The Eight Week Documentary Filmmaking (full time) course is ideal for students who want to bring their passion and ideas for a documentary to life and require training in technical and creative filmmaking skills. The course culminated in the production of your own short documentary film. This course is suitable for beginners, no previous experience is required.
Eight Week from Documentary Filmmaking is an intensive and practical course that equips students with the fundamental skills and focuses on the challenges of the documentary genre, such as working with people and filming reality. Designed to improve students understanding, knowledge and practice in the following areas:
- an understanding of the current context of documentary filmmaking based on the history of the documentary genre and its different forms
- the ability to research effectively, and to develop, structure and pitch your ideas with the potential market and audience in mind
- knowledge and skills to operate a digital camera, sound recording, light a scene and use editing software
- an appreciation of the importance of narrative and storytelling in documentary filmmaking and developing a voice as a documentary storyteller
Students will explore the following key areas during the Eight-Week Documentary Filmmaking Course.
The Factual Landscape. Students examine what is meant by the term ‘factual programming’ and how to generate and develop factual content such as single documentary, constructed documentary, fixed rig and formats. Students will be analysing and interpreting factual stories to understand how these ideas resonate with an audience.
Camera, Lighting and Sound. Students explore when and how to use elements of image and sound ‘control’ in a variety of factual circumstances including spoken scenarios such as interviews, voice-overs and vox pops.
Visual Storytelling. Students learn how to tell stories through the use of visual mediums. Looking at composition, blocking and camera positions and how to engage and audience.
Production. Students will learn the importance of planning and preparation; Health & Safety, budgeting and designing a shooting schedule.
Post Production. Through training in Adobe Premiere Pro, students will develop their technical and creative editing skills, which will give them the necessary understanding to take their own project through the editing process.
Final Production. Students will collaborate across their cohort to prep, shoot, and edit their final short factual films.
The Course Outline below describes the key craft areas and skills you will cover during your course.
Dates & Prices
- 3 May 2022 — 24 June 2022
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course
Entry Requirements: Our Eight-Week Documentary Filmmaking course is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However, in order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call: +44 20 8280 9119
In order to make enrolment as fair as possible and to enhance your learning experience, please be aware that we have a limited number of places available for each course intake and operate on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information regarding our application procedure, please see the following link, or contact our Admissions team on +44 (0) 20 8280 9119 or email email@example.com
Duration: Eight Weeks Full-Time (Monday – Friday, 10am – 5pm)
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we concentrate on employability. Students and graduates of MetFilm School will gain access to our dedicated careers advice department MetFilm Futures, who focus on supporting you and ensuring you develop the skills needed to succeed in the industry.
MetFilm Production, our sister production company, offers 3-4 in house work experience placements per year for MetFilm School graduates. Selected graduates work in a variety of capacities on all of MetFilm Production’s films such as award-winning The Reason I Jump, 23 Walks and Swimming with Men.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies our graduates have gone onto work for.
- Based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. MetFilm School is based within Ealing Studios, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Our location creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Watch our London Campus Tour
- Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students which are advertised through our career’s advice department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space; Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our MA Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case-by-case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance.
- Award-winning tutors. MetFilm School’s tutors are working screen professionals – TV and film directors, producers, screenwriters, editors, animators and other industry specialists with numerous awards, including BAFTA, Emmy and Oscar nominations.
- Through working closely with our sister companiesMetFilm Production and MetFilm Sales, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. These provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and ScreenSkills Select.