Looking to build your future in the screen industries? MetFilm School is the perfect place to turn your passion into practice. Working closely with leading industry professionals, we offer you a career-focused, cutting-edge, practical learning experience.
DO YOU WANT TO VISIT METFILM SCHOOL LONDON?
TAKE A LOOK AT OUR EVENT CALENDAR
Receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on all our short courses, when you book three months or more before the course start date.
Certificate in Digital Animation & VFX
This full-time course builds a solid understanding of VFX and production techniques including: pre-production planning, virtual set production, set extensions/replacement and clean up, Matte painting, Hard surface modelling, organic modelling, texturing, rigging, animation, creature creation, 3D tracking, compositing and match lighting. This course is suitable for beginners, with no previous experience required.
The Certificate in Digital Animation & VFX course helps you step into the industry as a VFX Compositor, Artist, Producer or take on other similar roles. The programme covers the core VFX and Animation skills, including:
- Digital Animation & VFX workflows, processes and disciplines
- Design and creation of 3D models
- Creation of manual and procedural textures
- Performing match-move on live action footage to recreate the original camera movement in a 3D space
- Adding dynamic finishing FX
- Lighting and rendering a 3D shot for compositing
- Compositing CG renders seamlessly into Live Action footage
- Gain an understanding of the animation and VFX career opportunities available in today’s creative industries
This course is based at our partner site at Garden Studios. If you would like a tour of the MetFilm School facilities at Garden Studios please get in touch.
This course is designed to improve your understanding, knowledge, and practice in the following areas:
Digital Animation & VFX Workflows. Students will explore how to gather data onset for 3D tracking and lighting.
Modelling. Sessions will explore how to construct efficient and animatable objects and characters, looking at the importance of thorough research of any object to help make the most “believable” 3D construction.
Animation. Students will explore rigging workflow in Maya and Nuke, timing and weight in movement and 2D animation techniques in Nuke.
Compositing. Students will learn the complexities of Nuke workflow and explore how to rotoscope for cleanup, how to matchmove and how to perform 2D and 3D tracking.
Visual Effects. Students will learn to manage the integration of invisible effect within the editing process, necessary to articulate visual effects strategies and workflows. Practical exercises will include a variety of typical situations including keying, tracking, animation and integration of multiple elements.
Working as a Team. Working as a production company students will utilise a 2–3-minute project, working in multiple roles, learning the importance of collaboration across disciplines.
Digital Deliverables. Students will learn how to create deliverables for a variety of platforms and will learn how compression informs their choices. Students will be taught about best practice for broadcast and web platforms as well as deliverables to Digital Animation & VFX departments: audio, VFX and colour grading.
The Course Outline below describes the key craft areas and skills you will cover during your course.
Dates & Prices
- 10 April 2023 — 8 September 2023
Minimum Age: 18 at start of course.
Entry Requirements: Our Certificate in Digital Animation & VFX is open enrolment and there are no entry requirements.
However, in order to get the most out of the course, you should be able to both speak and write in English to a reasonable standard. For more information on this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to make enrolment as fair as possible and to enhance your learning experience, please be aware that we have a limited number of places available for each course intake and operate on a first-come, first-served basis. For more information regarding our application procedure, please see the following link, or contact our Admissions team on +44 (0) 20 8280 9119 or email email@example.com.
Duration: 20 weeks of study over a 22-week period, Full-Time.
Location: MetFilm School Campus at Garden Studios and/or other teaching and production spaces in West London.
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR PRIORITY
From the very first day at MetFilm School, we concentrate on employability. Students and graduates of MetFilm School will gain access to our dedicated careers advice department MetFilm Futures, who focus on supporting you and ensuring you develop the skills needed to succeed in the industry.
MetFilm Production, our sister production company, offers 3-4 in house work experience placements per year for MetFilm School graduates. Selected graduates work in a variety of capacities on all of MetFilm Production’s films such as award-winning The Reason I Jump, 23 Walks and Swimming with Men.
Our graduates work across the industry as VFX Artists, Directors, TV Assistant Producers, Script Editors, On-Air Producers, Campaign Managers and many more besides. Below are just some of the companies our graduates have gone onto work for.
Yusuf Hasan completed this course in 2013 and has since gone onto work as a rotoscope artist and, more recently, a digital compositor for both television and Film, working with leading companies such as Cheap Shot, Paramount Pictures and Peerless VFX. Yusuf has worked on productions including 1917, Last Night in Soho, Judy and Alex Garland’s sci-fi series, Devs. In our interview, we speak with Yusuf about what his role entails, his proudest achievement, and the qualities needed to advance in the VFX industries. READ MORE
Chris McKenna completed this course in 2013. To better understand what a career in this exciting, ever-changing side of filmmaking looks like, we caught up with Chris to discuss his role as Head of Animation & Technical Animation at MPC (Moving Picture Company). With teams collaborating between studios around the world, MPC has most recently worked on anticipated titles such as Top Gun: Maverick and West Side Story, as well as eye-catching promotional content for a variety of global brands. READ MORE
- Based in the world-famous Ealing Studios. MetFilm School is based within Ealing Studios, along with numerous other companies and businesses. Our location creates a great screen industry context for the School but does not bring access to shoots or other studio activities. Watch our London Campus Tour
- Occasionally opportunities do arise for our students which are advertised through our career’s advice department, MetFilm Futures. MetFilm School does have its own studio space; Stage 5 – which is mostly used by those studying on our MA Cinematography course. It is also accessible on a case-by-case basis to students shooting films and other kinds of project but has to be booked in advance.
- Award-winning tutors. MetFilm School’s tutors are working screen professionals – TV and film directors, producers, screenwriters, editors, animators and other industry specialists with numerous awards, including BAFTA, Emmy and Oscar nominations.
- Connected. Through working closely with our sister companies MetFilm Production and MetFilm Sales, we better integrate our students into the world of creative media. These provide our students with work placements, graduate employment and master classes with industry professionals.
- Recognised quality. Our outstanding academic credentials are recognised by leading higher education bodies such as CILECT, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and ScreenSkills Select.