Immigration and visas

International Students

If you are a national of a country outside of the EEA and Switzerland and you are coming to study a programme lasting more than six months then you must apply for a Tier 4 student visa.

Please read our Immigration Guide for 2015/16.

Please use the UK Visas and Immigration questionnaire to find out if you are required to get a Tier 4 student visa.

For full visa information, visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.

The information below is for students who will be applying for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa from within their home country or outside of the UK.

What is a Confirmation of Acceptance For Studies (CAS)?

What is a Confirmation of Acceptance For Studies (CAS)?

Before you can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 4 (General), we must assign a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) to you. This confirms that you have been given an unconditional offer to study with us.

A CAS is a virtual record held on the UKBA Sponsorship Management System. You will receive a CAS Number, which is a unique 14-digit reference number, containing a mixture of letters and numbers. This number links your visa application with the information contained in your CAS record. Information about you, your course and how we have assessed your suitability for the course are all contained within your CAS record.

A CAS is valid for 6 months from the date it is issued.

You should use your CAS to apply for a Tier 4 student visa no earlier than 3 months before the start date of your course. You can only use the CAS once. If your visa is refused for any reason, you must obtain a new CAS from us. Once we issue you with a CAS, we will send you notification of the unique number and information contained within your record.

Only students who have firmly accepted an unconditional offer to study at Met Film School will receive a CAS.

You will also need to meet the other Tier 4 (General) requirements listed here:


Students on set

How to meet the UKBA Requirements

How to meet ‘maintenance’ requirements

As a Tier 4 student you will need to demonstrate to the UKVI that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course. This money is referred to as ‘maintenance’ or ‘funds’ and includes your accommodation and living costs. In order to study at the Met, you will need to show that you have £1,020 for each month of your course up to a maximum of nine months. This means that you need to show evidence of at least £9,180 when you are applying for your visa. Also, the personal bank statements used must cover a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your visa application.

Please read the Tier 4 Policy Guidance before applying to ensure that you are submitting the required supporting documents in the correct format. The most recent version of the Tier 4 guidance can be found here:

Met Film School will require proof of the maintenance/ funds available to you before we can issue you a CAS. It is important that all financial evidence is submitted in a timely manner. If you have any queries about visas please feel free to email us at:

Who is a “low risk” country national?

If you qualify for the UKVI’s differentiation arrangements because you are considered to be ‘low risk’ (nationals of Argentina, Australia, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Oman, Qatar, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, UAE, or USA), you are not required to include evidential documents with your Tier 4 visa application. Please note however, that you are still required to hold the specified documentary evidence as the UKVI will sometimes request ‘low risk nationals’ to send the full range of documents before they issue you a visa.

How long will it take to process my visa?

Information on visa processing times can be found on the UKVI website: